Lemony Arugula Spagetti Caccio E Pepe
I had this dish once at Forma in Santa Monica, California. It is so cheesy and peppery! They actually put the pasta inside a wheel of parmesan cheese and swirl it around to make it as cheesy as possible. This recipe isn’t quite that decadent, but it is close. Chrissy Teigen once again kills it in her cookbook Cravings, with her recipe for Lemony Arugula Spaghetti Caccio E Pepe.
I had to cut way down on the amount of pepper she uses, due to my spice allergy. But it is still delicious! This was my second time making this dish. And oh my gosh. I think it got even better, if that’s possible. This may be my favorite pasta dish ever! It is so cheesy it’s unreal. This last time, I doubled the recipe because we engulfed the entire bowl in about five minutes the first time. This time took us about ten!
via Cravings with variation 🙂
12 oz spaghetti
1/4 lb pancetta, or bacon can work
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp minced garlic, about 4 large cloves
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
3 cups baby arugula
- Bring a large pot of “heavily” salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente (according to instructions on box). Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water for later! Drain the rest.
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta until crisped, roughly 8 minutes. Crumble. Add olive oil, then garlic, red pepper, and black pepper. Cook about 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice, then put in pasta, tossing to coat. Add parmesan and continue tossing to coat pasta, adding pasta water 2 tbsp at a time (this helps the cheese coat the pasta).
- Add arugula, tossing until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Serve with parmesan cheese.